Utilities – Water, Sewage and Power
RGL is the UK’s leading waterjet company who have delivered a portfolio of services to the “Utility Industry” and gained a proven track record of delivering these services safely, on time and in full.
The vast majority (80%) of our business at RGL is from much valued repeat customers. We pride ourselves on our high service levels and get rewarded by being invited back time and time again.
Our experience to date includes the successful completion of work as follows:
1) Power generation
Nuclear power stations – Hunterston, Heysham, Dungeness, Sellafield, Winfrith
- Abrasive water jet cold cutting on steel pipework on cooling water intakes.
- Surface Preparation: of pump casings and coatings and corrosion removal from the exterior surfaces of water cooling pumps.
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: on jetties/ marine structures that require maintenance – see Hunterston power station case study.
Gas fired power stations – Partington – Manchester
- Tube and bundle cleaning: Cleaning of small diameter tube heat exchangers in the gas fired power stations.
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: Cutting out concrete plant bases/mounting plinths for pumps and electric motors that needed refurbishing or reinforcing
Wind farms – Dunbar & Blyth
- Abrasive water jet cold cutting: cutting of pile below sea bed level.
- Surface Preparation: of steel monopile and transition piece ready for coating by others.
- Abrasive water jet cutting: apertures into the monopile or transition piece.
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: of turbine bases.
Waste Biomass – Shoreham and IOW
- Refractory lining removal: using a semi-automatic, hydraulically powered, hydrodemolition process keeping the operatives outside the confined space.
- Tube and Bundle Cleaning: Removal of ash and by-product from heat exchangers and economisers.
- Abrasive water jet cold cutting: of steel plant casings in a potentially explosive environment to avoid fire risk posed by traditional methods.
2) Power Transmission
Electricity network – Electricity network – London
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: using accurate hand held cutting lances in proximity to high voltage electric cables avoiding considerable damage that would have occurred to transformers and cable connections if traditional methods (jackhammers) were deployed.
Gas network – M25, London
- Abrasive water jet cold cutting: of gas pipelines and gas storage tanks where it was likely there was residual gas pockets and sparks had to be avoided
- Surface Preparation: Lead coatings removal and containment prior to maintenance painting of gas holders and pipework.
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: Cutting concrete from around gas pipework and foundations to concrete tank bases leaving embedded steel pipework intact.
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: Cutting concrete from around water pipes leaving the pipes in situ and intact
- Pipeline Cleaning: Removing tough deposits including limescale and bringing flow rate through pipework back to specification avoiding the need for costly replacements
Waste water – Poole, Old Whittington, Weatherlees,Fort Cumberland & Beckton
- Drain and sewer obstacle removal: of concrete, grout, collapsed sections, tree roots or material blockage including metal obstructions.
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: Cutting concrete from around water pipes leaving the pipes clean and undamaged
- Concrete Hydrodemolition: (Precision) to create apertures in underground concrete tanks
- Pipeline Cleaning: Removing tough deposits including limescale and bringing flow rate through pipework back to specification avoiding the need for costly replacements.
- Abrasive water jet cold cutting: Cutting into live sewage mains where there is a risk of methane gas causing an explosion.
- Tank and vessel cleaning: Using remote controlled equipment from outside the tank to minimise the time crews have to spend in confined and potentially hazardous spaces.
- Surface Preparation: Removal of rubber lining from inside surface of sewage digester.